Exterior. Tamozawa Imperial Villa moved to Nikko in 1899. Tochigi Prefecture, Japan.
Exterior. Tamozawa Imperial Villa (Tamozawa Goyotei) blends traditional Edo and early modern Meiji Period architecture throughout its 106 rooms. The villa was erected in Nikko in 1899, using parts of a residence that originally stood in Tokyo, Japan. Before being moved to Nikko, the building served initially as the Tokyo residence of a branch of the Tokugawa family and was later temporarily used as the Imperial Palace. In Nikko, it was enlarged into a summer residence and retreat for the Imperial Family, but suffered neglect after World War II. In 2000, the villa was opened to the public after extensive renovation works. Tamozawa Imperial Villa is one of the largest remaining wooden buildings in Japan. The interior of the villa is a curious mix of Japanese and Western styles: many floors are carpeted and elaborate chandeliers hang from the ceilings, yet Japanese elements include sliding paper doors and tatami flooring. Although still impressive in size and grandeur, Tamozawa Imperial Villa currently occupies only one third of its original area. It now functions as a museum and memorial park. This image was stitched from multiple overlapping photos.Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download