1901 Russian Orthodox Church, Ninilchik, Alaska, USA.
The Russian Orthodox Church in the town of Ninilchik was redesigned and constructed in 1901 in Alaska, USA. Notice that the Russian Orthodox Cross has two extra arms: the top arm represents the inscribed acronyms [ INRI in Latin, in Greek, and a Hebrew version, meaning "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews" ], and the angled bottom arm is his footrest. Russian Orthodox religion was born in Kiev in the "land of the Rus" in 988 AD as a branch of Eastern Orthodox Christianity. After Russian discovery of Alaska and the Aleutian Islands in 1741, Russian fur traders taught Christianity to Alaskan Natives. The first eight Russian Orthodox missionaries came to Kodiak Island, Alaska (Russian America) in 1794. The religion spread amongst Alaskans, and the monks mission was made a diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church a few years after the United States purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867. Ninilchik is on the Sterling Highway on the west side of the Kenai Peninsula on the coast of Cook Inlet, 186 miles by road from Anchorage and 38 miles from Homer. The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act recognized Ninilchik as an Alaska Native village. Ninilchik hosts the annual Kenai Peninsula State Fair.Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download