Former Anacortes Veneer & Custom Plywood site restored to marsh. Fidalgo Island, Washington, USA.
From 2011-2013, this former industrial area in Anacortes was cleaned up and ecologically restored to coastal marsh, on Fidalgo Island in Skagit County, Washington, USA. From 1892-1930s, the site hosted sawmills and a box factory, followed by the Anacortes Veneer mill in 1939, becoming Custom Plywood from 1962-1990s, until destroyed by fire. Changing economic cycles have brought the area back to nature. In the distance, see an oil refinery and the Cascades Range. Anacortes is known for its Washington State Ferries terminal serving San Juan Islands, Guemes Island, and Victoria (via Sidney, British Columbia). "Anacortes" is a consolidation of the name Anna Curtis, who was the wife of early Fidalgo Island settler Amos Bowman.Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download