Wordie House Historic Site (1947-1954), Winter Island, Argentine Islands, Antarctica.
In the Argentine Islands, Antarctica, Wordie House (1947-1954) has been restored and is designated under the Antarctic Treaty System as Historic Site and Monument No. 62. An old manual typewriter and "dog cards" bin rest on a desk. The United Kingdom first established meteorological research here as Base F or "Argentine Islands" on Winter Island in 1947. The main hut, built on the site of an earlier British Graham Land Expedition hut, was named after Sir James Wordie, a member of Shackleton's Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition who visited during its construction. The original main hut, "Wordie House," now comprises the kitchen and bunk room. The base was extended in 1951 to include a generator shed, office, store, and toilet. A larger hut was built on nearby Galindez Island in 1954 and renamed Faraday Station in 1977. Researchers at Faraday Station shocked the scientific community by discovering the Antarctic "ozone hole" in 1985. Operational transfer to Ukraine in 1996 renamed Faraday Station to Vernadsky Research Base (Akademik Vernadsky).Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download