1872 Bodie Island Lighthouse, Outer Banks of North Carolina, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, near Nag's Head.
The current Bodie Island Lighthouse (originally Body's Island, after the family name of the land seller) is the third that has stood in this vicinity of Bodie Island on the Outer Banks in North Carolina and was built in 1872. It stands 156 feet tall and is located on the Roanoke Sound side of the first island that is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The lighthouse is just south of Nag's Head. Its first order Fresnel lens focuses its 1000-watt bulb to be visible up to 19 miles. The US Coast Guard owns the tower, and the National Park Service owns the site. The lighthouse has white and black bands with a black lantern house. Cape Hatteras was once dubbed the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" for its treacherous currents, shoals, and storms.Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download